I ate all 24 Blizzards at Dairy Queen and ranked the flavors from worst to best

blizzard reviews

I tried all of the Blizzards at Dairy Queen to see which was the best.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider
  • Dairy Queen'south Blizzard is made with thick, soft-serve ice cream and a range of customizable mix-ins
  • Equally of August 2022, I've tried 24 Blizzards from the menu, including seasonal and express-edition flavors.
  • I ranked the Blizzards from worst to best, and the best was the seasonal s'mores.

Cotton candy Blizzard

Cotton processed Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

The beginning problem with this special, seasonal Blizzard was the texture. It had these chewy, colorful bits of sugar that felt a bit off — like they weren't supposed to be in in that location and a child added them in at the last minute.

But the unbearable sweetness of this Blizzard is what earned it a spot on the bottom of my list. This dessert just tasted similar pure saccharide and my teeth notwithstanding hurt thinking about information technology.

I could motion-picture show younger kids absolutely loving this, but I can't see myself ordering this one once more.

M&M Blizzard

1000&M Blizzard.
Savanna Boyfriend-Wilson for Insider

Many people moving-picture show M&Ms when they call back of a classic ice-foam mix-in. That symphony of crunchy, chocolaty bits with smooth, creamy ice cream is a kid's kryptonite on a summer afternoon.

My 1000&Yard Blizzard came exactly as expected — with the bite-sized candies slightly crushed and evenly dispersed throughout the vanilla. It was a simple, yet satisfying option.

Just this Blizzard was pretty underwhelming, especially when compared to the other ones on the carte du jour. I retrieve it could've benefited from the addition of a brownie to make the chocolate flavor of the candies stand up out more.

Royal Rocky Route Trip Blizzard

Royal Rocky Road Trip Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

Full disclosure: I don't care much for rocky-road ice cream, so I knew I wasn't going to be wild most this one from the first.

Like rocky-road ice cream, this Blizzard contains all of the essential flavors: chocolate, peanuts, and marshmallow. This dessert has a single marshmallow core in the center of the cup with the ice foam around information technology and it comes with brownie chunks to get-go the strong vanilla flavors.

I tin see this being a dream for anyone who loves marshmallows, but I felt that the core overpowered the residue of the Blizzard. At one point, I thought the peanuts were missing, but they'd really but nerveless at the very bottom of the loving cup, which made every seize with teeth pretty inconsistent.

Very Cherry Bit Blizzard

Very Crimson Chip Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson

This Blizzard absolutely lives upwards to its name. To me, information technology tasted exactly like a cherry slushie.

It's very, very sweetness but I didn't observe that totally offputting. DQ makes this using a mix of vanilla and actual cherries, so there were bits of the fruit in the mixture, which offered a nice pop of tart flavor that made my lips pucker.

My guild also independent plenty of tasty chocolate chunks, which cut through some of that intense fruity sweetness.

I believe this Blizzard volition appeal to a lot of people (Shirley Temple fans, looking at y'all), but information technology was too sweet for me to discover information technology enjoyable beyond a few bites.

If I wanted a fruit-forrard Blizzard, I'd get with the Raspberry Fuge Bliss.

Heath Blizzard

Heath Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

I was eager to attempt the Blizzard because I think Heath is an excellent, underrated candy bar.

The Heath candy bits were finely chopped and distributed well throughout the water ice cream. This gave the entire Blizzard a potent toffee gustation, which I personally loved.

However, the biggest effect with this one was the texture. Toffee is notoriously gummy and hard, peculiarly when paired with a common cold substance like ice foam. As I ate my Blizzard, I noticed the pocket-size bits of the candy were getting stuck to parts of my teeth, which made me unwilling to finish it.

Oreo Dirt Pie Blizzard

Savanna Young man-Wilson

Although I personally never attended summer campsite myself, I accept many fond childhood memories of eating Oreo dirt pies at birthday parties.

Usually, the dessert is made using pudding as a base, simply hither, DQ is putting its own spin on this with its soft serve.

I appreciate the sentiment DQ was trying to convey here, and I'm certain kids will go nuts for this, but I'm not sold on the gummy worms being mixed into the water ice cream.

As a topping? Fine. But I didn't care for getting random bites of chewy candy in my ice cream. There's already enough texture going on with the cookie pieces and fudge. Plus, information technology's not similar they add together that much for season.

On a more than positive notation, I loved how the added actress fudge crumbles actually doubled down on the chocolate flavour.

This costs the same every bit the regular Oreo Blizzard, so you're not necessarily out any extra coin if you lodge this over the other. Only for my coin, I'd much rather get the regular Oreo Blizzard.

Nestle Drumstick with Peanuts Blizzard

Nestle Drumstick with Peanuts Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

This Blizzard brought me back to babyhood days at my Grandma's house.

I'd often dig in the back of the freezer looking for chocolaty Drumstick treats, only to devour an entire cone within a couple of minutes. And every time, my fingers (and the floor) would end up covered in a melted mess.

Years later, I'm still a fan of Drumsticks, just I rarely eat them to avert dealing with that mess.
Thankfully, DQ has solved that trouble by creating a Blizzard with Drumstick bits blended right in that I can enjoy with the convenience of a spoon.

And permit me tell you, it did non disappoint. Every bit is the case with about of its blizzards, the vanilla ice foam made for the perfect base, accentuating the peanut-waffle-cone-Nestle chocolate flavor in the mix-ins. Peanut was definitely the predominant season, simply it wasn't and so overpowering that I didn't taste the chocolate.

I wish the peanut $.25 were larger, though, since they kept getting stuck in my teeth. I sympathise the peanuts on a drumstick are tiny equally is, then there was no changing this.

However, if you're looking for a peanut-butter flavor that'southward non too chocolatey or sweet like the Reese's ane — this Blizzard is certain to satisfy.

Choco Brownie Extreme Blizzard

Choco Brownie Extreme Blizzard.
Savanna Fellow-Wilson for Insider

Equally a chocolate lover, I was surprised that I didn't like this one as much as I'd hoped. This Blizzard is proof that in that location tin can be besides much of a proficient thing.

This comes with brownie pieces, chocolate fudge, and chocolate chunks. I enjoy all of those things individually, just when they're all packed together in an 8-ounce cup, it'due south almost too much.

It was articulate to me that the chewy brownie chunks were the star of the evidence, and the other two chocolaty components didn't add much. The brownies were and then fudgy that they blended together with the fudge chunks, also. Part of me feels similar the fudge chunks were thrown in just to give this Blizzard its "extreme" proper noun.

The kicker of this dessert is that it came with vanilla water ice cream — not chocolate — simply I honestly couldn't gustation it underneath all of the toppings.

Butterfinger Blizzard

Butterfinger Blizzard.
Savanna Young man-Wilson for Insider

This Blizzard consists of vanilla soft serve and a generous amount of nutty, scrumptious Butterfinger bits. I immediately noticed the piffling orangish $.25 sticking out from the flossy soft serve, so everything looked similar it had been mixed well.

Taste-wise, this blizzard was good, but not incredible. The candy bar (or confined?) were ground incredibly fine, which made information technology so the nutty flavor composite seamlessly into the soft serve.

However, I felt the candy's chocolate coating got completely lost in the mixing process. That wasn't a deal-breaker, but I still wouldn't call this Blizzard my favorite.

Snickers Blizzard

Snickers Blizzard.
Savanna Boyfriend-Wilson for Insider

The symphony of textures makes Snickers one of the U.s.'s nigh honey candy confined, and the same holds true when it'south paired with delicious vanilla soft serve.

Yummy chocolate, smooth caramel, and crunchy peanuts gave this ane a pleasant blend of different flavors and without overpowering the water ice cream itself.

Of the candy-themed Blizzards I tried, this was one of the amend ones.

Brownie batter Blizzard

Brownie concoction Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

Don't always try to tell me that brownie flavor and credibility-concoction season are the aforementioned matter — they're not. This Blizzard is evidence of that, equally it had an almost malted season to it, which fabricated it slightly sweeter than other chocolate ones. I absolutely loved it.

This tasted like someone froze a bowl of brownie batter. Even better, DQ was not skimpy about the brownie chunks. I got a bit of chewy, fudgy brownie in every single bite down to the bottom of the loving cup. They also didn't fall into the trap of having a weird grainy taste to them.

Reese's peanut-butter loving cup Blizzard

Reese's peanut-butter cup Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

As advertised, this Blizzard came with vanilla soft serve and noticeable chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups. This made me happy because it meant it contained actual chocolate, not Reese's Pieces, which gustation like pure peanut butter to me.

As expected, everything tasted great. The Reese's chunks had that familiar cook-in-your-mouth flavour that I know and beloved. However, the further I got into my Blizzard, the less peanut butter cups there were, and the less enjoyable it became.

All the same, if I had to cull a candy-themed Blizzard, I'd probably order this one once more over some of the others.

Oreo fudge credibility Blizzard

Oreo fudge brownie Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

Like the chain'due south traditional Oreo Blizzard, this comes with vanilla soft serve and chewy $.25 of Oreo cookies. The but difference is that this takes it to the next level by adding globs of yummy, fudgy brownies to the mixture.

This was adept just it wasn't much of a standout to me because it seemed like the Oreos were reduced to the background.

The brownies dominated the unabridged dessert, which wasn't a problem for me as a chocolate lover, but it made me question whether the Oreos needed to be at that place.

Turtle pecan cluster Blizzard

Turtle pecan cluster Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

The alloy of buttery pecans, caramel, and vanilla on this Blizzard was absolutely divine. I likewise liked that my order contained pieces of whole pecans.

Just I institute the chocolate fudge shavings to exist unnecessary because they weren't noticeable at all. If you didn't tell me they were in there, I would presume they weren't.

That said, this Blizzard earns high marks for its uniqueness and great taste.

Caramel Drumstick with peanuts Blizzard

Caramel Drumstick Blizzard with peanuts.
Savanna Swain-Wilson

You may be thinking "Wait a second, Dairy Queen has ever had a Drumstick Blizzard with peanuts." Correct. But this 1 is different. This one has all that and caramel.

The improver is very subtle — visually, it looks no different from the other Drumstick Blizzard. Simply as soon as I took that first seize with teeth, it was articulate this was a huge step higher up the original.

The caramel topping was composite seamlessly into the ice cream, offering a impact of yummy sweetness that paired incredibly well with the peanuts and chocolaty drumstick pieces.

In all, it'south a wonderful combination of slightly salty, sweet, and nutty flavors.

People who are hoping to get huge globs of gooey caramel might be disappointed. But if you lot want something that's delicious and sweet, but not quite as intense every bit some of the candy-flavored Blizzards, this will striking the spot.

Oreo cheesecake Blizzard

Oreo cheesecake Blizzard.
Savanna Young man-Wilson for Insider

Much like the cheesecake Blizzard, this came with a decent amount of cheesecake chunks. The only difference is that this ane'southward too mixed with Oreo cookies.

I accidentally ordered this with chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla but, even so, it tasted the same as the chain'due south vanilla soft serve but with a hint of chocolate syrup.

In my opinion, this is a dandy option for the cheesecake lover who also wants a trivial bit of chocolate. The ratio between the two ingredients was adequately even, which meant no ane taste dominated the other. In fact, they enhanced each other. The cocoa in the Oreos popped each time I got a bite of them with the flossy cheesecake.

Daughter Watch Thin Mints Blizzard

Girl Scout Thin Mints Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

Frozen Thin Mints are a affair for a reason, and I'm glad DQ found a way to harness that perfectly absurd, chocolaty deliciousness into a Blizzard.

Hither, the water ice cream had a nice, delicate minty flavor that tasted like a dead ringer for the iconic cookie. The use of vanilla soft serve with mint swirled into it lends to a pleasant, refreshing sweetness that prevents this from tasting similar a cup of toothpaste.

The bits of Sparse Mint cookies were basically the cherry-red on elevation hither: perfectly chewy, with their shine chocolate flavour dancing on the flossy, absurd vanilla-mint swirl.

This ended upwardly being 1 of my favorite Blizzards. The addition of a fudgy chocolate swirl is the only thing that could make this even better.

Raspberry Fudge Bliss Blizzard

Raspberry Fudge Bliss Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson for Insider

My initial thought on seeing this Blizzard was that it seemed the most "adult" to me because it'southward the only one with actual fruit in information technology.

By far, the all-time part of this Blizzard was the fresh raspberries. They added a layer of tartness that counteracted the intensity of the chocolate-fudge chunks.

I just wish there were more of them in the Blizzard because once I got a quarter of the way in, all that I tasted was vanilla and chocolate.

Purple New York Cheesecake Blizzard

Imperial New York Cheesecake Blizzard.
Savanna Boyfriend-Wilson for Insider

I'grand always a fan of a good dessert within a dessert when information technology's executed well — fortunately, this Blizzard was a hitting.

The creamy cheesecake chunks fabricated for a superb mix-in for Dairy Queen's soft serve: They had a slightly chewy, however shine texture that stood upwardly well to the water ice foam. I besides found that they had a pleasant, sweetness flavor that didn't gustation artificial or overly sugary.

But it was the strawberry mixture in the middle that seriously elevated this Blizzard. As presently equally I got to the cadre, strawberry flavor began to seep into every corner of the loving cup, which gave every subsequent seize with teeth that burst of berry flavor.

South'mores Blizzard

South'mores Blizzard.
Savanna Swain-Wilson

When ii classics come together, you're bound to end up with something delicious. That'southward exactly what happened with the s'mores Blizzard, which is why it was my absolute favorite.

Dissimilar the Purple Rocky Road, which was overpowered by also much marshmallow, and Chocolate Brownie Extreme which was too chocolaty, the due south'mores Blizzard had just the right corporeality of everything.

Instead of mini marshmallows, which can easily plough rubbery when cold, information technology has chocolate chunks that contain marshmallow filling. Information technology also has graham-cracker pieces and graham-cracker dust that courses throughout the entire Blizzard, causing the ice cream to adopt that irresistible, toasty season.

Because of the graham-cracker dust, every bite tastes like a s'more than. In other words, this Blizzard is the perfect summer treat, and I tin't await to lodge information technology again soon.

Read More than:

I tried making Guy Fieri'south signature recipes for a calendar week, and I didn't love my whole trip to Flavortown

I tried 24 kinds of M&G candies and found but a few flavors crush the original treat

I tasted all of the pancake dishes at IHOP and ranked them from worst to best

I tried every unmarried cheesecake at The Cheesecake Manufacturing plant and ranked them from worst to best

Read next

Features Freelancer Evergreen story